Label Alignment in KDE4

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 23:02:39 BST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 23:41:49 André Wöbbeking wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > This is what we had in KDE3 (common in Windows):
> >
> > Label 1:                  [ Text Input Box ]
> > Really Long Label 2: [ Text Input Box ]
> >
> > This is what I thought we were doing in KDE4 (common in OSX):
> >
> >                  Label 1: [ Text Input Box ]
> > Really Long Label 2: [ Text Input Box ]
> >
> > Flashing forward in the future to KDE 4, I'm noticing a lot of
> > dialogs are not following this rule.  Is it because no one knew about
> > the change?  Is it because most of the applications were ported and
> > so no one thought about adjusting the UIs?
>
> Well, I didn't know about it. I just had a look at some apps of 4.1 RC1
> and couldn't find any right aligned label.
>
> Do you also want right aligned label if in same layout are check boxes
> which are left aligned?
>
> > So...
> > 1) Are we still in agreement about the right aligned labels?
>
> Don't know.

Probably - but it looks like some work is required to make even half of the
forms use the proper alignment.

> > 2) How hard is it going to be to fix all of incorrectly aligned
> > labels?
>
> It's not difficult but probably a lot work. Using QFormLayout as
> proposed by Stefan might be a good idea but of course more work.

Of course one should be using Designer anyway and it's quite trivial to do
small layout changes there :)
I've just modified the SSL certificate info dialog in less than five minutes.
The code changes, if required, are also going to be easy compared to some
other coding challenges.
Looking at the Kate config modules I wonder what exactly is a form, though. It
seems that there is a gray area where the right-alignment rule may or may not
apply. Celeste, can you say something about where and where not the rule
applies in the Kate config dialog, according to you?

--
I'm really excited now, and ready to hit that vast asphalt ribbon of
adventure!