Label Alignment in KDE4

André Wöbbeking Woebbeking at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 22:41:49 BST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> This is what we had in KDE3 (common in Windows):
>
> Label 1:                  [ Text Input Box ]
> Really Long Label 2: [ Text Input Box ]
>
> This is what I thought we were doing in KDE4 (common in OSX):
>
>                  Label 1: [ Text Input Box ]
> Really Long Label 2: [ Text Input Box ]
>
> Flashing forward in the future to KDE 4, I'm noticing a lot of
> dialogs are not following this rule.  Is it because no one knew about
> the change?  Is it because most of the applications were ported and
> so no one thought about adjusting the UIs?

Well, I didn't know about it. I just had a look at some apps of 4.1 RC1
and couldn't find any right aligned label.

Do you also want right aligned label if in same layout are check boxes
which are left aligned?

> So...
> 1) Are we still in agreement about the right aligned labels?

Don't know.

> 2) How hard is it going to be to fix all of incorrectly aligned
> labels?

It's not difficult but probably a lot work. Using QFormLayout as
proposed by Stefan might be a good idea but of course more work.

Cheers,
André