requiring cmake 2.6

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jul 10 18:59:14 BST 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 09:45, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2008 23:01:56 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > > we have now a KDE 4.1 branch and trunk is going to become 4.2.
> > >
> > > Are there already distributions coming with cmake 2.6.0 ?
>
> Over on the Solaris side we have been using cmake 2.4.6, which is fine. Our
> first attempt at switching to cmake 2.6 is something of a disaster: all
> RPATH information is discarded, leaving us with unusable libraries and
> executables (unless you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is exactly what we want-
> and need- to avoid).

With cmake 2.4 the binaries were relinked, with 2.6 the new RPATH is patched
into the existing executable.
Maybe this doesn't work on your system ?
Can you reproduce this with a testcase ?
Like
add_executable(hello main.c)
set_target_properties(hello PROPERTIES INSTALL_RPATH /blub/ )
install(TARGETS hello DESTINATION bin)

and then check whether /blub made it into the installed executable.

> I'll futz with it over the next day or two to see if I can pin it down more
> closely than "it doesn't work right". We do pass in an ungodly number of
> cmake arguments to nudge the whole build in the right direction.

With 2.6 cmake supports the variable CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH, which will be used in
the FIND_XXX() commands. I.e. for FIND_PROGRAM() /bin will be appended, for
FIND_LIBRARY() /lib and for FIND_PATH() /include accordingly.
Does that help ?
It is supported both as an environment var as well as a cmake variable.

Alex