KDEREVIEW: nowplaying dataengine and applet for plasma

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jan 30 12:27:38 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Ian Monroe wrote:

> I find MPRIS to be a fine standard, it has the methods it needs to get
> the job done. I'm hardly a DBus expert, where I've heard most of the
> criticism coming from it seems. So for the folks criticizing it, just
> join the MPRIS mailing list[*] and voice your concerns and suggestion.
> Because in about 6 months to a year (with releases from Amarok,
> VideoLAN and others), it is going to be the defacto standard.

I tried that almost a year ago, doesn't seem to work.

It's a bit hard to understand why there is so much resistance to appropriately
group the methods into three interface. Anyone using a code generator like
qdbusxml2cpp will need to do a lot of dummy method implementations when all
objects have the same interface but only care about a few methods.

It also messes up the discoverability. Any user using tools like qdbus will
see all methods on each node and probably wonder why certain methods return a
D-Bus error when being called.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring