KDEREVIEW: nowplaying dataengine and applet for plasma

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 10:45:08 GMT 2008

At Tuesday 29 January 2008 22:15, you wrote:
> I find MPRIS to be a fine standard, it has the methods it needs to get
> the job done. I'm hardly a DBus expert, where I've heard most of the
> criticism coming from it seems. So for the folks criticizing it, just
> join the MPRIS mailing list[*] and voice your concerns and suggestion.
> Because in about 6 months to a year (with releases from Amarok,
> VideoLAN and others), it is going to be the defacto standard.

It's very comprehensive, with a well-thought-out interface.  It just breaks a reasonable assumption about D-Bus interfaces (ie: that an interface works like in any programming language that provides them - if two objects have the same interface [org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer in this case], then they each implement all the methods of that interface).

> As far as kdemultimedia vs. extragear: if you plan on releasing with
> every KDE release, I think you should just join kdemultimedia. The
> best reason to be in extragear is because you want to set your own
> release schedule. Several projects in extragear are releasing with KDE
> now, this only makes sense if they don't fit well with any of the
> other packages. Not really the case for a nowplaying app.

Well, I think it would be a question of either kdemultimedia or extragear/plasma (rather than extragear/multimedia).  I'm happy with either.

Alex