KDEREVIEW: nowplaying dataengine and applet for plasma

koos vriezen koos.vriezen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 11:41:18 GMT 2008

2008/1/27, Alex Merry <huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk>:
> At Saturday 26 January 2008 12:08 am, you wrote:
> > Do I understand the code correct that in order to be detected, one has
> > to register itself as org. mpris.SomePlayer? I would expect kde apps
> > registering themselves as org.kde.SomePlayer and having some object
> > supporting the org. mpris.Xxx interfaces, no?
>
> Yes, as specified in the MPRIS specification.  The point is that an application can (as this one does) just look for anything like org.mpris.*, rather than going through every single D-Bus object of every single service looking for an org.freedesktop.mediaplayer interface.

Yes sorry looked only at the spces after Kevin's mail.
Nevertheless, I feel that it's more beautiful to have queries like
give me all object implementing a certain interface than having to
look 'into' the names of services. Also because the object path are
predefined, this doesn't have to match mm players internal objects.
Eg. in the kde4 port of kmplayer there can be multiple streems playing
at once, where object paths have a more natural form like
/stream-xx/Foo.
And of course, if this becomes the trend, we get loads of service
names, making the search not any faster.

The idea of NowPlaying is very cool indeed, I like it.

I thought I saw that you only show one mm app  at a time, but not sure
now. Eg. I think it would be nice if video playing inside a html page
can also be listed. Users can than choose to quit a certain annoying
flash movie. This of course is with the mpris hardly doable if their
are multiple kparts and even more if these are different kparts.

Anyhow, I could implement mpris for the standalone application for the
time being ..

Br.
Koos