Please reopen "kdesktop showing root directory" bug

Dominique Quatravaux domq at google.com
Tue Jan 22 10:31:29 GMT 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:37 AM, Pino Toscano <toscano.pino at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Sorry, I won't, as the problem lies totally on the kubuntu side.

Mind if I paste your email into the Ubuntu bug page for the record?

Also for the record, your explanation does not seem to reconcile with
the facts. I went to the trouble of recompiling kdesktop (as patched
by Ubuntu) to dump the return value of KGlobalSettings::desktopPath()
to stderr, and sure enough it returns "/". In other words my
experiments show that XDG_DESKTOP_DIR in kubuntu, far from being part
of the problem, is actually the saving grace that papers over an
underlying KDE bug. Additionally, just installing xdg-user-dirs (as
your suggestion of setting a dependency would do) does nothing per se,
you have to run xdg-user-dirs-update (at least on my own system).

Mind you, I spent the best of my unpaid evening yesterday chasing that
down instead of getting back home, and unless anyone at KDE is willing
to actually work on the bug I will just let your team and Ubuntu's
bicker over whose fault it is, as the problem now has a solution for
the rest of us who just want their desktop to show Desktop instead of
/.

Yours disappointedly,

--
  Dominique Quatravaux