Please reopen "kdesktop showing root directory" bug

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Tue Jan 22 10:49:50 GMT 2008

Alle martedì 22 gennaio 2008, Dominique Quatravaux ha scritto:
> On Jan 22, 2008 10:37 AM, Pino Toscano <toscano.pino at tiscali.it> wrote:
> > Sorry, I won't, as the problem lies totally on the kubuntu side.
>
> Mind if I paste your email into the Ubuntu bug page for the record?

No problem.

> Also for the record, your explanation does not seem to reconcile with
> the facts. I went to the trouble of recompiling kdesktop (as patched
> by Ubuntu) to dump the return value of KGlobalSettings::desktopPath()
> to stderr, and sure enough it returns "/". In other words my
> experiments show that XDG_DESKTOP_DIR in kubuntu, far from being part
> of the problem, is actually the saving grace that papers over an
> underlying KDE bug.

Guess, that's another kubuntu patch, for kdelibs:
kubuntu_93_xdg_dirs_document_path.diff. By chance, that patch affects the
standard paths (including desktopPath()) read with KGlobalSettings, reading
them from the XDG_* vars.
THat's why even KGlobalSettings::desktopPath() behave in a fuzzy way as well.

> Additionally, just installing xdg-user-dirs (as
> your suggestion of setting a dependency would do) does nothing per se,
> you have to run xdg-user-dirs-update (at least on my own system).

That's distro job running xdg-user-dirs-update in the pist-install phase of
the xdg-user-dir installation.

> Mind you, I spent the best of my unpaid evening yesterday chasing that
> down instead of getting back home, and unless anyone at KDE is willing
> to actually work on the bug I will just let your team and Ubuntu's
> bicker over whose fault it is, as the problem now has a solution for
> the rest of us who just want their desktop to show Desktop instead of
> /.

I actually spend two hours digging into kubuntu's kdelibs+kdebase patches
(resp. 7 MB and 14 MB), and was able to track down the issue, and I'm pretty
sure the fault is on the kubuntu patches.
I'm not bitchering anyone, this what I discovered by *looking* at the code and
at the distro patches, instead of random guessing.
Even Riddell on IRC confirmed the missing dependancy in kdebase on
xdg-user-dir.
Remember, KDE is not responsible for distro's patch sets.

--
Pino Toscano