Better behaved previews

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Sat Jan 19 16:47:17 GMT 2008

Hi Rafael,

I'm not sure whether you've read my reply/concerns to your previous changes of
kdiroperator (see attached mail), I've got no answer yet :-(

I've just tried your new patch, but it still contains the performance
regression by generating a preview on each hovering. Beside the performance
regression there is also a usability regression: it is not possible anymore
to hover an item and reach the "OK" button without generating a preview from
another accidently hovered item.

The hover code in Dolphin has been tested by users since one year already (KDE
3 version in Kubuntu) and the feedback has been very good (pressing F11 opens
the info place in Dolphin, maybe you can have a look on it...).

I think we should stay consistent with the hover behavior of previews -> I'd
propose to revert the changes in kdiroperator completely and only leave the
animation effect of kimagefilepreview (I like the effect very much).

[...]
> - Navigate to an item with keyboard: as you move, the current index preview
> is triggered.

Nice!

> - Hover an element: its preview is triggered (we give more preference to
> the hover events).

Wasn't this the case before also (I mean before the previous committed patch
of kdiroperator)?

> - Unhover the element and go to the blank part of the view: the current
> index preview is triggered again ! (if there were no current index
> selected, then the last hovered element is kept, this is specially good
> when previsualizing videos, because you can go to the control bar of it).

This would not be necessary with the old code of kdiroperator: accidently
previews have not been generated by mouse-moves...

> - Clear selection by clicking on the blank part of the view: preview gone.

Why should someone want to clear the preview?

Please don't get me wrong: I'm open for any improvements and changes, but I
think we should keep this consistent with the way Dolphin does previews (this
for sure also means that I'm open to adjust Dolphins behavior to the file
dialogs behavior). It's just that especially for the previews in Dolphin I
did not get one single complain during the last year (counting 4808 Dolphin
related mails [1]).

So I'd like to discuss this first again before committing :-)

Thanks!
Peter

[1] includes SVN commits + bug report discussions -> the real feedback for
sure is a lot smaller...