MAINTAINERS files

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 17 23:40:23 GMT 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 17 of January 2008, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 January 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  Hello,
> > >
> > >  kdecore/MAINTAINERS and kdeui/MAINTAINERS are badly out-of-date, i.e.
> > > useless. Given that they apparently don't work, is somebody going to
> > > have a problem with me simply svn rm-ing them?
> >
> > So we can start them again from scratch next year? :-P
> >
> > The need is still there, I think what we need is a volunteer for applying
> > the moves and renames (that were done to the files) to the contents
> > those MAINTAINERS files.
>
>  I don't think that's enough - just picking the person with the newest
> copyright item in the file header seems a much better bet. Many files don't
> have anybody, some files are outdated (e.g. kconfig.cpp). If people haven't
> kept the file up to date until now, I don't see this changing.

The reason I didn't update it for KCalendarSystem was it didn't feel right to
claim the status for myself.  I'm sure others feel the same, or don't want to
step on the currently listed maintainers toes if they are still around (or
the file has a 'big' name like Waldo on it :-).

Do we have any guidelines, no matter how vague, of what constitutes
maintainership, how it gets transferred for existing code, and what defines
abandonment?  (I'm not talking some formal Debian style structure here, just
a few rules-of-thumb to follow).

John.