Giving up our applications' identity? (was: Re: KDE)

person-maintainer kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jan 14 21:50:55 GMT 2008

On Thursday 27 December 2007, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> SVN commit 753390 by jpetso:
>
> Icon renaming (code changes - KDE/):
> kmail -> internet-mail

Please excuse my ignorance, but are we now completely giving up our
identity by using totally generic icons for all of our apps? Should
KMail, Thunderbird, Mailody, etc., all be represented by the same icon
internet-mail? Do you really believe Thunderbird will ever replace
their icon by internet-mail?

Using standardized icons is okay for actions, etc. OTOH, application
icons are part of the identity of an application and make it easy to
differentiate an application from other similar applications. Using
generic application icons does only make sense if there's only one such
application installed on a system.

I hereby formally object against using such a generic icon for KMail.
Note, that I have no objections against the actual icon although I
would have really preferred a variation of the orange E icon (TM) which
has become a trademark for KMail over the years, but I'm absolutely not
d'accord with using an icon with a generic name such as internet-mail
as application icon for KMail. Hmm, thinking about it some more I do in
fact also object against the usage of the actual icon internet-mail.png
for KMail because it is totally generic (an envelope with a pen; not
exactly what I'd call imaginative; more like obvious and totally
boring) and as such will never become a (new) trademark for KMail.

Regards,

person-maintainer