kio_giobridge IO slave

Vlad Codrea vladc6 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 03:57:40 GMT 2008

--- Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Vlad Codrea wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > --- nf2 <nf2 at scheinwelt.at> wrote:
> >> Over the Christmas holidays i have written an experimental
> >> kio_gio/gvfs
> >> bridge IO slave for KDE4:
> >
> > Thanks for creating this IO slave. However, I have serious
> > reservations to including it in kdelibs because:
> >
> > 1)
> >    +#include <glib.h>
> >    +#include <gio/gio.h>
> >    +
> >    +using namespace KIO;
> >
> > It links to glib and therefore introduces a compile-time
> dependency on
> > glib. This wastes memory because now KDE has two low-level
> frameworks
> > that have redundant functionality: QtCore and Glib.
> >
> > Memory usage woes caused by linking to glib are real and have
> already
> > been reported:
> >
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117579313101108&w=2
> >
> > 2) File I/O is fundamental to nearly all KDE apps, and for a KDE
> > developer to fix or investigate bugs in GIO/GVFS they would have
> > code in C and learn the subtleties of GLib/GIO/GVFS.
> >
> > 3) This deviates from the way other kdelibs components like Solid
> have
> > dealt with Glib apps, namely to communicate with them via dbus.
> >
> > 4) There already are mature and tested KIO slaves to handle all
> the
> > protocols that GVFS handles, with less indirection and room for
> bugs.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vlad
>
> Your argument is basically null and void since QtCore already links
>
> to glib.

QtCore can *optionally* link to glib, at the expense of slower speed
due to using a non-native event loop and bloated memory consumption
due to redundant functionality. It's perfectly OK (and encouraged) to
compile KDE without Glib support for these reasons.

Linking to glib is a choice, and an unwise one at that, because it
automatically puts KDE at a disadvantage compared to GNOME (GNOME
needs only its native low-level libs, but KDE would need to use
GNOME's plus QtCore). Including the kio_giobridge IO slave in kdelibs
is IMHO unacceptable because it takes away this discretion and forces
distros and even power users to link to Glib.

Best Regards,
Vlad