kio_giobridge IO slave

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Sat Jan 5 00:08:35 GMT 2008

David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, nf2 wrote:
>
>> Furthermore there is a "OverrulesProtocols" parameter to
>> override some protocols which KIO already provides.
>>

> I don't really like this. It means that when a user says "smb:/ doesn't work" we have
> almost no way of knowing if he's using kio_smb or kio_giobridge...

Yes - I agree - OverrulesProtocols is not a pretty solution, it would be
better to install one or the other. But that would probably mean that
all protocol handlers that can be replaced by GIO have to be moved out
of kdelibs/kdebase into a separate package. Because that's not realistic
at the moment, i did this OverrulesProtocols workaround.

Another possibility would be some kind of "|OnlyUseIn|=" switch in the
.protocol files with

|OnlyUseIn|=autisitic-mode
|OnlyUseIn|=gio-mode

> User support will be very difficult if not impossible in those conditions. The user himself
> might not know which one he's using, if it depends on some distro package being installed for instance.
> Shouldn't the kio_giobridge kioslave use different protocol names instead?

Then URIs are not compatible between KDE and other apps - filesystem
consistency is one of the main reasons of moving towards GIO.

> The KDirModel crash sounds like one I fixed today BTW, if it was about urls with no path like smb://.

Yeah. It's history.

But there's another thing in KIO which annoys me: For some reason, it
always strips the slashes behind the protocol

like smb://WORKGROUP -> smb:/WORKGROUP which GIO doesn't understand and
- i think - is not standard conform.

Norbert