kio_giobridge IO slave

Vlad Codrea vladc6 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 19:41:54 GMT 2008

Hi,

--- nf2 <nf2 at scheinwelt.at> wrote:
> Over the Christmas holidays i have written an experimental
> kio_gio/gvfs
> bridge IO slave for KDE4:

Thanks for creating this IO slave. However, I have serious
reservations to including it in kdelibs because:

1)
   +#include <glib.h>
   +#include <gio/gio.h>
   +
   +using namespace KIO;

It links to glib and therefore introduces a compile-time dependency on
glib. This wastes memory because now KDE has two low-level frameworks
that have redundant functionality: QtCore and Glib.

Memory usage woes caused by linking to glib are real and have already
been reported:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117579313101108&w=2

2) File I/O is fundamental to nearly all KDE apps, and for a KDE
developer to fix or investigate bugs in GIO/GVFS they would have to
code in C and learn the subtleties of GLib/GIO/GVFS.

3) This deviates from the way other kdelibs components like Solid have
dealt with Glib apps, namely to communicate with them via dbus.

4) There already are mature and tested KIO slaves to handle all the
protocols that GVFS handles, with less indirection and room for bugs.

Thanks,
Vlad