khelpcenter porting status

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Feb 29 09:30:49 GMT 2008

Matt Williams schrieb:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008 15:53:19 Jos van den Oever wrote:
>
>> 2008/2/28, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de>:
>>
>>>  i like to inform that khelpcenter is now able to display KDE
>>>  documentations on windows systems (tested with Windows xp). There were
>>>  some issues in the kio_help slave which prevents displaying of pages and
>>>  images.
>>>
>>>  Searching through the whole documentation is disabled and *not* ported
>>>  because of the following reasons:
>>>
>>>  - the unix version of khelpcenter uses htdig as external tool for
>>>  indexing and searching which isn't ported in the kde context yet.
>>>
>>>  - For KDE 4.x strigi is used as a "buildin" desktop search engine and if
>>>  it would be able to index and search KDE docs too, htdig could be
>>>  dropped to avoid having multiple search engines in KDE 4. The strigi
>>>  homepage http://strigi.sourceforge.net/?q=features#supported_files lists
>>>  some oasis format, so indexing xml seem to be possible, but html and
>>>  docbook are not explicit listed, so I cannot say if this would be
>>> possible.
>>>
>> We can make a dedicated analyzer for the KDE docbook format. This is
>> rather simple. To do this, one should implement a saxstreamanalyzer
>> and capture the appropriate fields. Can you paste an excerpt along
>> with a description of what parts you'd like to extract?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jos
>>

> Before this goes too far, is it not worth considering porting khelpcenter to
> use the new QHelp API? It will immediately give us searching capabilities
> within khelpcenter.
This is already implemented, khelpcenter has an api to run any index and
search engine. Currently there are perl script which wraps a call to htdig

*trunk\KDE\kdebase\runtime\khelpcenter\searchhandlers\htdig.desktop.cmake
*[Desktop Entry]
DocumentTypes=text/html

SearchCommand=${LIBEXEC_INSTALL_DIR}/khc_htsearch.pl --indexdir=%d
--config=%i --words=%w --method=%o --maxnum=%m --lang=%l
IndexCommand=${LIBEXEC_INSTALL_DIR}/khc_htdig.pl --indexdir=%d
--docpath=%p --identifier=%i --lang=%l

*trunk\KDE\kdebase\runtime\khelpcenter\searchhandlers\docbook.desktop.cmake*
[Desktop Entry]
DocumentTypes=application/docbook+xml

SearchCommand=${LIBEXEC_INSTALL_DIR}/khc_htsearch.pl --docbook
--indexdir=%d --config=%i --words=%w --method=%o --maxnum=%m --lang=en
IndexCommand=${LIBEXEC_INSTALL_DIR}/khc_docbookdig.pl --indexdir=%d
--docpath=%p --identifier=%i

Ralf

Ralf