khelpcenter porting status

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Thu Feb 28 19:08:13 GMT 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008 15:53:19 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2008/2/28, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de>:
> >  i like to inform that khelpcenter is now able to display KDE
> >  documentations on windows systems (tested with Windows xp). There were
> >  some issues in the kio_help slave which prevents displaying of pages and
> >  images.
> >
> >  Searching through the whole documentation is disabled and *not* ported
> >  because of the following reasons:
> >
> >  - the unix version of khelpcenter uses htdig as external tool for
> >  indexing and searching which isn't ported in the kde context yet.
> >
> >  - For KDE 4.x strigi is used as a "buildin" desktop search engine and if
> >  it would be able to index and search KDE docs too, htdig could be
> >  dropped to avoid having multiple search engines in KDE 4. The strigi
> >  homepage http://strigi.sourceforge.net/?q=features#supported_files lists
> >  some oasis format, so indexing xml seem to be possible, but html and
> >  docbook are not explicit listed, so I cannot say if this would be
> > possible.
>
> We can make a dedicated analyzer for the KDE docbook format. This is
> rather simple. To do this, one should implement a saxstreamanalyzer
> and capture the appropriate fields. Can you paste an excerpt along
> with a description of what parts you'd like to extract?
>
> Cheers,
> Jos

Before this goes too far, is it not worth considering porting khelpcenter to
use the new QHelp API? It will immediately give us searching capabilities
within khelpcenter. I have heard that Trolltech are working on a generator
which can take docbook and create the QHelp binaries directly. Then it would
simply be a case of writing an analyser for QHelp binaries (which would have
the benefit of allowing us to search Qt docs etc. as well).

Regards,
Matt Williams