guaranteeing compatibility for KDE modules ?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Feb 20 20:47:43 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in general we guarantee source and binary compatibility to KDE 4.0.0 for
> all KDE 4.x.y
> Do we guarantee that for all KDE modules, e.g. also for kdebase ?

I don't think so.

As far as I understand it we only guarantee binary compatability for library
modules, e.g. kdelibs and kdepimlibs and later on kdevplatform.
Libraries inside other modules can be changed if necessary.

If such a library would be of interest to developers outside the module, e.g.
for applications in extragear or in a different module, and the library
developers think they can from some point of time also guarantee
compatability, they should move the library either to kdelibs or a newly
create library module.

Moving the library outside the application module also has the advantage that
it is more obvious for packagers that it can and should be packaged
separately, thus avoiding huge dependencies for system that package a whole
module into a single package.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring