Listing and unmounting GVFS mounts in KDE

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Sat Feb 9 14:27:18 GMT 2008

nf2 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to move on with my experimental kio-giobridge i'm facing a
> little problem:
>
> 1) Where to list network mounts
> 2) Present them in a way that users can "unmount" them via the context
> menu.
>
> They could be listed in remote:// (that's what i'm doing at the
> moment, but just as links) or in KFilePlacesModel.
>
> Listing them in remote:// would probably mean creating special desktop
> entry files on the fly, which somehow get recognized as virtual mount
> points and decorated with an "unmount" entry in the context menu
> (AFAIK for native mounts such special desktop entries exists).
>
> Having "mounted" vfs-items in KFilePlacesModel would also be nice, as
> GNOME also puts them into the file-manager/chooser side pane. The
> problem here is, that vfs mounts are neither bookmarks, nor
> Solid::Devices.

This raises another question: Could Solid be extended to also manage
other than HAL devices? Perhaps i could try to get the GVFS network
mounts into Solid. Extending the scope of Solid would probably also
allow to handle FUSE mounts (sshfs, curlftpfs etc), as they aren't
managed by HAL either.

I wonder how this would fit into the Solid model:

1) hacking GVFS mounts into Solid::Backends::Hal
2) plugging a new backend, which does the GVFS mounts and delegates the
rest to the Hal backend.
3) Improving Solid to deal with multiple backends at a time.

Another question: kio_file has some mounting code (pmount/pumount). Is
this obsolete in KDE4, i.e. everything handled through Solid?

Regards,
Norbert