Special characters in KConfig (& kglobalaccel)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Feb 6 15:11:33 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 06 of February 2008, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > 1) as separator in KGlobalAccel items, used as keys for KConfig.
>
> Indeed this makes it hard on kconf_update scripts.
> This is something that we could change at the same time we are changing
> kglobalaccel to use action names instead of translated names.
> Then we could use ':' as separator or something... like this
> kwin:next_virtual_desktop=F13
> We don't use ':' in kcomponentdata names AFAIK; and it's easy to
> Q_ASSERT(!componentName.contains(':')); in the kglobalaccel code to
> make sure we tell the app author soon enough about the issue :)

 If kglobalshortcutsrc ends up containing more than just name=shortcut, then a
better way should be nested groups. Which is how I found the other problem
and wanted to see a solution for it before I actually did something with
KGlobalAccel.

 If it turns out just one entry per action is enough, then ':' is ok, I agree.
However \x01 seems to be also used for separating shortcuts (!?!), those
should go with ':' I think.

 The actual change will either mean all manual changes will be lost, or a
kconf_update script will require a real binary using KConfig that will do the
conversion.

 Which, for the record, will additionally mean requiring dependencies for
kconf_update, since a user updating only somewhen later will want this script
run first before any other that affects shortcuts, not the other way around.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz