DrKonqui appearance (was: Re: New KMessageBox Style )

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:19:04 GMT 2008

> It would make sense to show the backtrace dialogue only when debugging is
> enabled, otherwise the backtrace is useless anyway. That might also save us a
> lot of those "this bt is useless, please get a debug build".

I have a couple of comments on that:

As I understand it, Ubuntu has a tool in its bug reporting system that
can take an incomplete backtrace from a release build and fill it in
automatically with the needed symbols.

> how much use is a backtrace, really, without a user to discuss it with (and
> probably without debug packages, too)?

That depends on the bug in question.  Sometimes the backtrace alone is
enough - this is often the case with assertion failures, other times
you need an explanation.  It would be quite easy to add a couple of
boxes for the user to enter details about the circumstances of the
crash and an email address for further correspondence.

One important thing that can be done with the backtrace alone is to
help prioritize developers' time according to the number of
occurrences of a particular crash.

Regards,
Robert.