New KMessageBox Style

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sat Feb 2 11:57:26 GMT 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 10:33:26 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> On Saturday 02 February 2008 13:17:47 Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 February 2008 09:37:18 Gary Greene wrote:
> > > Urs, can you put them on the left to see what they will look like? This
> > > way we can get an idea if just moving the icon from the right to the
> > > left would look better for those that have commented on this?
> To be honest, I like the right position better. I'm working here on my

To be honest I think that it's a stupid idea to do it like this and it doesn't
look good either way. The reason:

The message status icons are in this context the _primary_ visual message and
are meant to raise the user's attention immediately.

Devaluating that primary visual message to a water mark in the background
horribly defeats its purpose. I personally like watermarks in dialogs because
they make dialogs more sexy and inviting. However in this case you are
abusing the wrong image (i.e. the one that asks the user visually for
attention) for "subtle decoration".

This is also the reason why people feel like "Oh, it's not visible enough"
(because it's meant to be the attention-begging visual primary message) and
then again "Oh, now it's way too much into the face now for a watermark"
(because this icon was never meant to be "just decorative").

As a solution I'd suggest to put the status icons back into their old place
(i.e. not being used as a water mark, but as a normal icon). For the
watermark we need a different graphic (maybe per status) that would serve
both as decoration as well as a "subliminal" clue what problem the user is
facing right now.

Regards,

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz