what packages do we want distros to ship ?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Dec 23 14:31:52 GMT 2008

On 23.12.08 12:38:45, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > I agree here too. The thing is, Gentoo wants to package (and build and
> > > install) each lib from workspace separately, and supporting this would
> > > require some work from the cmake side, where I'm not sure it makes a lot
> > > of sense.
> >
> > What about "who does the work decides", so if Gentoo absolutely wants to
> > break workspace into pieces its them who does the work. Sure if they submit
> > the patches to kde-buildsystem and the patches are ok we can merge them
> > into the repository.
>
> But also in this case, the kdebase/workspace developers have to understand
> what it does, in order to be able to extend/not to break/etc. it.
>
> So, a one time commit is not all the work.

Yes, however I don't think build logic of existing libs/apps is touched
that much, except for adding files. The tricky parts for splitting are
(IIRC) simply the usage of _BINARY_DIR and _SOURCE_DIR which should be
prefixed with <projectname> for each lib/app and these seldomly need
adjustment afterwards.

Apart from that, the same rule applies: Who wants to build those
individually eventually needs to cleanup behind the devs. Its simply
impossible as a developer to test every possible way of installing a module
or app (all kde4 in 1 prefix vs. some in 1 prefix and 1 module separately
vs. everything separate is already something which few people have setup at
all). So the persons who do have the "different" setup and want it to
continue to work need to work with the original developer to keep their
setup working. In worst case thats a bugreport about the breakage, in best
case its a complete working patch.

Andreas

--
Don't look now, but there is a multi-legged creature on your shoulder.