what packages do we want distros to ship ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 06:13:53 GMT 2008

On Monday 22 December 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> My guess is that it's somewhere in between, e.g. whole kdelibs,

kdelibs could probably be broken out a bit, in particular:

* the libs that have no deps on KDE could be packaged individually, making it
easy for 3rd party apps to depend on them alone:
	* solid
	* threadweaver
	* phonon (ok, not part of kdelibs anymore, but you get the idea =)

* the core kdelibs: core, ui, kio/kfile, kded, knewstuff, etc... libs that are
so commonly used and which make kde apps kde apps.

* non-core significant libs could be packaged on their own:
	* khtml+kjs
	* plasma
	* kross
	* kformula

kdebase should probably be split into:

* runtime; there's no point in having only part of this. the whole idea is
that these are the things apps must be able to rely on being there.

* workspace; maybe a libs+apps split, but this again makes most sense to me as
an atomic unit

* apps: libs in one package (libkonq), applications individually packagable:
konq, dolphin, konsole, etc

for the other modules, i imagine it makes sense to do full package or
individual apps.

just mho =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo