what packages do we want distros to ship ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Dec 22 08:46:17 GMT 2008

Hi,

since I'm doing the build stuff I'm getting in contact with packagers from
distributions and their wishes.
One thing which I don't know what the current state is, is what type of KDE
packages do we want distributions to ship ?
We have the "modules" kdelibs, kdebase, kdepim etc. These are quite
corse-grained.
E.g. Slackware ships them that way, so you get  a package kdebase.tar.gz etc.#

E.g. Gentoo is on the other end, they modify the buildsystem so that they can
ship everything as a single package. E.g they'd like to have a separate
package for each library in kdebase/workspace/.

Now, we could say, it's up to them, we don't care.
But that wouldn't be good. It would be better if we support what we want them
to ship, so they have to do less (or no) modifications and we know what will
be shipped to our users.
Also making more fine-grained packages than whole-module-one-package can be
made easier for them if we consider this when writing the CMakeLists.txt.
(e.g. by keeping in mind that CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR and CMAKE_BINARY_DIR are
different when building a whole module instead of independent, by making
configure tests local to the application, etc.).

So, what do we expect what will be shipped ?

My guess is that it's somewhere in between, e.g. whole kdelibs, whole
kdepimlibs, whole kdebase/workspace libs, but separate e.g. kontact, kate,
kwin, kmail etc.

Alex