kcmodule and kcmoduleproxy

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu Dec 4 19:52:40 GMT 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008 20:05:59 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > IMO (not humble in this case) it is better to have a resizing dialog than
> > a long delay before having the dialog ready. Which is why I made the
> > proxy delay loading, and breaking it like this one might have just
> > deleted all the delayed loading logic...
> >
> > If dialogs are initially "ridicolous"ly small then the application needs
> > to be "fixed" to set a sensible initial size for the dialog...
>
> I disagree, i don't need to set any sensible small size, Qt does it for me,
> and quite good actually. You are bypassing it, and it's failing, and you
> say it's the developers fault?

For your definitions of "bypassing" and "failing". I wouldn't call it that
way...

It's a matter of preference:
- load all widgets from DSOs in a matter of ~10 seconds and have a non-
resizing dialog
vs.
- show the dialog immediately with at least the right size for the first shown
widget or a size hint given by the application and resize later when needed

If you think about it, you'll find there's no other way to achieve a non-
resizing dialog than to discard lazy loading of the KCMs.

Do you really want to do that?