KProcess Line Mode Patch

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Dec 2 10:00:14 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 10:00:26 Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen schrieb:
> > On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 03:26:14PM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >> What I'd recommend instead is a line-based reader that works on top of
> >> a plain QIODevice. That way, you can plug it on a QTcpSocket,
> >> QLocalSocket, QNetworkReply or KTcpSocket objects as well. (the
> >> finished() signal is replaced by the readChannelFinished() signal)
> >>
> >> This would have the issue, of course, that it doesn't handle a
> >> multi-channel device like QProcess.
> >
> > yes, that's why i filed task 164632 ages ago (read the related thread).
>
> and which was rejected see
> http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker/index_html?id=164632&method=ent
>ry#

That was a feature request, asking for multi-channel support in QIODevice.
Aside from QProcess, the only case where that may be needed is SCTP sockets,
which no one uses.

> "This is really a bug report; QProcess shouldn't clear its buffer when
> switching buffers. QIODevice doesn't need separate buffers to fix this.
> QProcess already has a pending bug report for this."
>
> Unfortunally I did not find the related Qt bug report  searching for
> "QProcess buffer", "QProcess clear", "QProcess channel"

Task 161944, which is already closed. Its description is also misleading.
  Senior Software Engineer - Nokia, Qt Software
  Qt Software is hiring - ask me
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358