Moving PowerDevil to kdereview

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 18:45:42 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

I am writing this mail to inform you I have moved PowerDevil from
playground/utils to kdereview. PowerDevil is a Power Management system for
KDE4.

PowerDevil's aim is to be lightweight, feature-full, configurable, based on
Solid only and fully integrated with the Desktop Environment. It is splitted
into various components, a KDED module, a KCModule, a KRunner, a Plasma Engine
and a Plasma Applet.

The core is the KDED module. Polling was removed thanks to a system that sets
the polling time to the next upcoming idle event. Every time the polling
function is called PowerDevil calculates the minimum time for an idle event to
come, and sets the timer accordingly. For example, in a scenario where you
have a lot of events in a small amount of time, PowerDevil polls the system
every minute. For detecting system activity, it uses the same grabbing system
used previously in KDE4Powersave.

The KCModule handles configuration of the Daemon. Having a dedicated
application for it seemed to me redundant, since you can have it by using
kcmshell4. PowerDevil has 2 kind of configuration: a general one, and a
profile-based one. You can create new profiles and assign them to particular
events, PowerDevil will take care of kicking them in at the right time.

The KRunner acts like a shell of PowerDevil. By typing set-profile, set-
governor and so on, you can change on the fly what you need.

The Plasmoid should be what the system tray was for old Power managers, and it
should basically have the same features as the KRunner.

The code I'm putting in kdereview includes the KDED module, the KCModule, the
KRunner and the Plasma Engine. I'm not so good with Plasma, so I tried to
backport the current battery plasmoid and extend it, but with no luck. I'd
really need some help on this side.

Though the core is already working and it's fully-functional: it's being
tested since a pair of months by KDEmod users, and they're pretty satisfied
with it. The KRunner is also stable and functional.

The code has no Krazy issues, compiles with no warnings and it's fully
i18n'ed. I'd like to move it to kdeutils trunk, if approved. It still needs an
usability review, a native english speaker's review of strings, and some help
on the Plasma applet.

Thanks and Cheers,
Dario