Shortcuts UI (Re: KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/dialogs)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Aug 25 15:22:30 BST 2008

On Sunday 24 of August 2008, Michael Jansen wrote:
> SVN commit 851690 by mjansen:
>
> Remove the code for subgrouping the actions in a action collection with
> special named actions ("Group:"). It assumes actions in a collection keep
> the order they where inserted. That's not true anymore since the
> KKeyChooser -> KShortcutsDialog redesign.

 But keeping the order is part of it. Currently the shortcut dialogs are a
mess with shortcuts put "randomly" - "Move Window" and "Resize Window" are 10
shortcuts apart, shortcuts for directional switching of desktops are even
further from next/previous desktop switching, or with CZ locale shortcuts for
moving a window are left, down, right, <something else>, <something else>,
up.

 They need to be grouped logically and kept in a logical order.

> We have to find a way to provide that functionality differently. For the
> reason have a look at kates "configure shortcuts" dialog.

 I don't see anything special about it.

> Anyone an idea? I think of creating something like KActionGroups.

 I think every action should have its position in the UI specified, both
grouping and position within that group. I don't care much about how it's
done API-wise, could be even simply KAction::setShortcutGroup( QString group,
int position ).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz