Nepomuk Labelling in System Settings

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Mon Aug 18 15:34:16 BST 2008

On Monday 18 August 2008 10:26:12 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> On Monday 18 August 2008 15:52:02 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > Then call it "desktop search" for now.
> >
> > This should be done upstream, no? :)
>
> Actually, Nepomuk is not only search. I know it goes slow, but we are

What else does it do?  I know you can rank files and add metadata, but isn't
the end result for search?  If we know what it will be doing in the future
maybe we can come up with a label which will include that functionality as
well.

> aiming much higher. So if we keep names like Solid and Phonon, we should
> also keep Nepomuk.

The problem is we aren't using Phonon right now (we use Sound and will change
it to Multimedia or Sound and Video), just Solid and Nepomuk.  Using brand
names prevents people who don't know the technology from discovering the
option.  That is why we were trying to find a good label to describe the
activity or the task instead of using the brand.

System settings doesn't include descriptions of the modules on the index page,
and so it would require a user expecting a failed exploration to discover it.
There are other problems with System Settings organization and discovery in
general.  If there are resources available I'm up for sketching some designs
to solve some of these problems.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project