Reducing library dependancies

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Aug 14 22:23:55 BST 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm rebuilding KDE with --as-needed as we speak. I usually trust Helio
> >
> >Shouldn't that be unnecessary once we get the reduced linking working
> >properly ?
>
> No. Using --as-needed produces better results than we can ever achieve
> with reduced linking.

Can you please explain (for an --as-needed newbie) ?

> And I gave up doing reduced linking on koffice. Every single target
> required a fixup. That's technically the right thing to do, but it was
> too much work. Even on my fast machine, the cycle is around one minute.

Did you add the libs to the targets ?
Adding some widely used libs to the "link interface" of some central libs
should help a lot.

Btw., actually what is currently in svn is not the complete thing as I noticed
tuesday, currently the default is "all libs go into the interface", while the
default should be "interface is empty".
I have that locally here and working on it.

Alex