Reducing library dependancies

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 14 21:33:21 BST 2008

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>On Tuesday 12 August 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> John Tapsell wrote:
>> >Sounds pretty good so far - sounds like we could make this change to
>> >the kde build?  Which file do we add this flag to?
>>
>> I'm rebuilding KDE with --as-needed as we speak. I usually trust Helio
>
>Shouldn't that be unnecessary once we get the reduced linking working
>properly ?

No. Using --as-needed produces better results than we can ever achieve
with reduced linking.

And I gave up doing reduced linking on koffice. Every single target
required a fixup. That's technically the right thing to do, but it was
too much work. Even on my fast machine, the cycle is around one minute.

But that doesn't mean our reduced linking effort is unnecessary.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358