JPEG Thumbnailer

Andre Gemünd scroogie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:12:27 BST 2008

Hi List,
I'm a fresh subscriber so forgive me if I don't follow the right rules
for posting. I registered because Peter Penz was so nice as to introduce
me to the approach of eventual contribution.
I found that the JPEG previews in Dolphin were quite slow so I had a
look at the corresponding code. The Thumbnail KIO Slave loads the whole
JPEG and scales it afterwards. So I tried out to load a scaled down
version with libjpeg and here is the code attached as an additional
thumbnail implementation for the KIOSlave. It's hard to measure the
actual difference, but I think it's a significant speedup. I tried it
out with a test program that uses the QImage way like the
ImageThumbnailer and the former libjpeg method. If theres interest i can
post it as well.
Of course it's a tradeoff between quality and speed, so it might need
some discussion. I tried it out on a local build and attach a patch
against 4.1.0.
To try it out Caulier Gilles has some nice test images of different
sizes on http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/TEST_IMAGES/JPEG/
The method is well known and while browsing the websvn I found out that
it's also used in Digikam and Gwenview for JPEG thumbnails. I've never
contributed to KDE before, so I'm not familiar with logging or error
recovery methods used, so I'd like to get some comments. I hope I can
hop on the KDE train with that first patch and am looking forward to
your answers!

Greetings
André