Qt SVG renderer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Aug 10 18:51:58 BST 2008

Thiago Macieira wrote:
<SNIP>
> Be careful not to throw away information that the artists use to edit the
> file.
>
> It's all and well to do a garbage collection, but not to make the file
> impossible to edit later.

This makes no sense.  Artwork is a final product and should not contain
such information.

If there is a need to have copies that contain other information, then
we need to have a separate place in SVN for them.

IAC, the problem is that the SVGZ icon files contain a lot of stuff that
is not needed for editing, serves no useful function, and needs to be
removed.

You also need to consider how much work would be needed to remove the
editing information for each release.  For that reason alone, the SVGZ
files should be cleaned up before they are committed to SVG TRUNK.

I find that there are also idiosyncrasies in InkScape (i.e. bugs
perhaps).  IAC, after further work, I managed to further reduce the
attached file to 2564 bytes.  The file in SVN is 11332 bytes.  That is
over 77% and I did not remove any of the image information to do this.
Clearly, this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

--
JRT