drkonqi and backtrace analysis

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 5 08:03:49 BST 2008

Matt Rogers wrote:
>On Aug 4, 2008, at 7:50 AM, John Tapsell wrote:
>>>
>>> Default? There is no default, just like there is no default way of
>>> installing
>>> packages.
>>
>> Ah, well then we should have one.  It can be a script that looks to
>> see what distro it is on, and call the appropriate command for that
>> distro.  Just check for /etc/debian_version or /etc/redhat_version
>> etc.  It's fairly reliable, and distros can always override it anyway.
>>
>> The advantage is that it would work out of svn for most distros.
>
>Why should we provide a default for a hook that we're providing to the
>distributions? If we do that, then that basically says "we'll maintain
>this for you" to the distributions when that's not our responsibility.
>If you're concerned about running svn but not getting this feature,
>then you could just symlink your distro's installed installdebuginfo
>script into your svn install directory path where it needs to go, or
>write your own and keep it in a safe place.

If you're building from SVN, you don't have separate debuginfo packages
for KDE libraries and applications. In fact, you don't have packages at
all.

This restricts the use of installdebuginfo to installing the packages for
the libraries that we use, but which aren't ours.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358