drkonqi and backtrace analysis

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Aug 5 04:22:48 BST 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 7:50 AM, John Tapsell wrote:

> 2008/8/4 Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz>:
>> On Monday 04 of August 2008, John Tapsell wrote:
>>> Where in svn is the 'default' installdebuginfo script?  I would like
>>> to get the default to cover the main distros.
>>
>> Default? There is no default, just like there is no default way of
>> installing
>> packages.
>
> Ah, well then we should have one.  It can be a script that looks to
> see what distro it is on, and call the appropriate command for that
> distro.  Just check for /etc/debian_version or /etc/redhat_version
> etc.  It's fairly reliable, and distros can always override it anyway.
>
> The advantage is that it would work out of svn for most distros.

Why should we provide a default for a hook that we're providing to the
distributions? If we do that, then that basically says "we'll maintain
this for you" to the distributions when that's not our responsibility.
If you're concerned about running svn but not getting this feature,
then you could just symlink your distro's installed installdebuginfo
script into your svn install directory path where it needs to go, or
write your own and keep it in a safe place.

IMHO
--
Matt