Qt SVG renderer

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 5 07:51:45 BST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>On Monday 04 August 2008, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
>> > That's what I've been told by trolls at lastest akademy, when
>> > friendly complaining ;-) with them about the quality of
>> > QSvgRenderer. Looks like it's no more the case as WebkitSvg has been
>> > said to be too slow, but I'll let some TT internal that knows stuff
>> > better than me answer.
>>
>> There is no plan (for QSvgRenderer) to support anything else than SVG
>> Tiny.
>
>what would be useful is explaining, plainly and openly, *why* this is
> the case, even if the answer comes down to "we simply don't have enough
> reason to justify investing further in this technology" or "it would be
> too much work to do otherwise".

Answers are:
- too complex
- not nearly enough demand [*]
- would take too much work
- main reason: no developer wants to invest his time on it.

[*] we've never been afraid of doing something where only KDE would
benefit from or when only KDE demanded it, but look at the other reasons.

Internally, we work much the same way as developers work on KDE: people
work on what they want to work on, most of their time. Sure, there are
some things that you have to do or parts of the code that you have to
maintain but you don't really like (my example: QHttp, QFtp, QLocale),
but that's a small fraction of their time.

Since there's no developer feeling passionate about SVG (the last was
Zack), the module is in maintenance mode: no new features.

This new developer who I mentioned who started looking into the icon
problems that started this thread will try and do something. SVG is not
his area (not the same way as it was Zack's) and so he cannot give an
answer right now how far he can go. Nor timeframe: this could take as
long as Qt 4.6 or 4.7.

The only way for KDE to be sure that this gets done is for someone who
likes SVGs and wants to work on QtSvg to send their CV to us and move to
Oslo. (Other alternatives that end up in the code getting written but
without a work contract can be discussed too)

>but if there is no appetite to extend QSvgRenderer at all (iow, it's in
> pure maintenance mode) then i probably need to know now so i can plan
> how we will work with or around QSvgRenderer in plasma.

Let's discuss in Belgium next week.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358