Qt SVG renderer

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Aug 4 13:37:18 BST 2008

kde-core-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> Thanks for the list. it looks like a fair amount of misrenderings can be fixed
> in the svg itself - there is for example no reason why weather-clouds-
> night.png contains a printer logo in the background (which is apparently a
> layer labelled inactive, so it is not rendered by inkscape).
>
> Greetings,
> Dirk

Hi, Dirk. I am not sure this is the solution in the long term, but I
guess it will have to do while TT does not fix the renderer. I would not
ask Eugene to comment on this thread, but we can talk about this a bit
in Akademy if you want to hear one of our artist's thoughts about
limitations in the renderer...
I *thought* someone mentioned that the webkit renderer would be used in
the future in Qt, and that was the reason the built-in one was lagging
behind. Was that a plan at some point in time?
In games for example we use QtSvgRenderer for everything, and the
artists working on the module have to go through several hoops to
conform the art to the svg subset accepted by QtSvgRenderer. This means
for example lots of limitations when dealing with masks and filled
borders (check the alphabet.svgz tileset for KMahongg and KShisen to see
how the artist had to work around that in a very time-consuming way.)

Ideally, I would like to see QtSvgRenderer rendering that is equal to
what we get in Inkscape, since that is the tool most artists use. I know
Inkscape is not the perfect renderer, but it is way better than
QtSvgRenderer and could be used as a benchmark imo.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini