Reducing library dependancies

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Mon Aug 4 11:14:48 BST 2008

Am Sonntag 03 August 2008 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> John Tapsell wrote:
> >Sounds pretty good so far - sounds like we could make this change to
> >the kde build?  Which file do we add this flag to?
>
> No, sorry, it doesn't sound safe yet.
>
> Building distributions is one thing: there are no pre-existing
> installations to conflict with. It's a different thing when 100
> developers have 100 different setups.
>
> We could turn it on to see what happens, but I recommend not doing it
> before we know KDE is building with the reduced dependencies we have
> already put in place.

I have to agree. It works with latest binutils on "average" architectures,
but it gives weird errors on other combinations. We could play with white
listing such combinations, but with new cmake cleaning up the Cmakelist
sounds like the better way. Taking that too many libraries will be rather
the exception.

Greetings, Stephan