KPropertiesDialog. Useful graph ? [2D]

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 19:01:40 BST 2008

Hi,

> Will the appearance be part of KStyle? Or asking less technically: Will
> the "capacity bar" look OK with styles like Plastique too?

Well, plastique is not a KStyle ;) I always try to keep as much as parallel as
we can with the Qt framework when using KStyle. I guess this wouldn't get
into... so we could just take care and be sure that with all color schemes
the capacity bar works OK and is readable.

> The reason for this question is that this kind of approach has already
> failed for the "capacity bar" in Dolphins status bar. Before KDE 4.0 I've
> written a custom control and got a lot of complaints from users that it
> does not look good with Oxygen. I failed finding an approach which looks
> good with Oxygen _and_ other styles too, so I used QProgressBar for showing
> the capacity. Afterwards I got 2 complaints from developers that using
> QProgressBar for this is not correct semantically, however users did not
> care about this and liked the new look ;-)

My only concern about this, is that a progress bar goal is to show progress.
We are not showing any progress here.

> My input is: no matter which approach we are using (pie chart, a kind
> of "capacity bar"...), we must take care that it looks OK with all styles,
> not only Oxygen.

Yes, of course. That's the point... but if we make it to work with all color
schemes then we are safe. That's what I guess at least... :)

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.