[rfc] Should we "block" bugreports for the latest stable releases of KDE apps?

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 26 04:36:46 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek at lichota.net> wrote:
> 2008/4/25, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz>:
>
> > On Friday 25 of April 2008, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
>
> >  > IMO bugs for older KDE version should be accepted, marked as
>  >  > "Untriaged for current version" or something similar, and then someone
>  >  > with latest KDE version can verify if this bug still happens.
>  >
>  >  That's a nice theory, but unfortunately it's probably just that. We already
>  >  can't keep up with the incoming bugreports. Even if we allowed stuff from
>  >  KDE3.5.5 or older (and that's a year and half old), the first reaction of
>  >  most developers is going to be 'Can you reproduce with the latest version?".
>  >  And the reporter says that they don't know, and the developer shelves the
>  >  bugreport for somewhen when they'll have time to check (=indefinitely).
>  >  Where's the gain in that?
>
>  Well, it depends if you want to have as little bug reports as
>  possible, or you want the bugs to be really fixed.
>
>  And please notice that the process I have described involves some
>  other people than developers - bug triagers.

And please not we now already have a team of these people. Admittedly
the bugsquad is still somewhat in its infancy, but we are gaining
members very fast. I think that if there were incoming bugs that need
to be checked on the latest version that could easily be found with a
query for some tag or other, then it would be very easy for the
bugsquad people to check them. At the moment we run a bug-day once
every 2 weeks, but we are always having people come during the other
days asking to help out. It would be very simple to point them to a
query for [untriaged latest version] and ask them to try and reproduce
them.

George