[rfc] Should we "block" bugreports for the latest stable releases of KDE apps?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:56:51 BST 2008

It depends on the nature of the bug report.  Sometimes bugs are
reported for very old versions which are still valid for the most
current version.  This obviously includes wishlist items but also
sometimes bugs which were not fixed in an old version for
architectural reasons.

In the past few months I have ticked off a few reports which were
originally filed against KDE 2.x or early 3.x releases.

We can advise people that bugs in old versions are unlikely to be
fixed but I would advise against a wholesale ban on such reports, not
least because we don't want to discourage people from reporting real
problems in the first place.  KDE's bugzilla is not the prettiest
thing in the world but filing reports is relatively quick and easy for
those who have the inclination to do so.

> That's a nice theory, but unfortunately it's probably just that. We already
> can't keep up with the incoming bugreports

Again, that depends on the program and the time that the maintainer
has available.  If there is a single person actively maintaining a
program for a few hours a week then up to ~300 unresolved bugs is I
think managable.

Regards,
Robert.