[rfc] Should we "block" bugreports for the latest stable releases of KDE apps?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Apr 25 12:29:32 BST 2008

On Friday 25 of April 2008, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> 2008/4/25, Jaroslaw Staniek <js at iidea.pl>:
> > David Faure said the following, On 2008-04-24 19:09:
> > > But maybe we can allow kdelibs-3.5.[678] for non-kdelibs/kdebase bugs,
> I think requiring reporters to use latest KDE is deterring them. They
> have already did more than usual user would do (i.e. they want to
> report bug), but they are now punished for that. How many will really
> install newer KDE version just to check the bug?
>
> IMO bugs for older KDE version should be accepted, marked as
> "Untriaged for current version" or something similar, and then someone
> with latest KDE version can verify if this bug still happens.

 That's a nice theory, but unfortunately it's probably just that. We already
can't keep up with the incoming bugreports. Even if we allowed stuff from
KDE3.5.5 or older (and that's a year and half old), the first reaction of
most developers is going to be 'Can you reproduce with the latest version?".
And the reporter says that they don't know, and the developer shelves the
bugreport for somewhen when they'll have time to check (=indefinitely).
Where's the gain in that?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz