KPropertiesDialog. Useful graph ?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 21:56:37 BST 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Gary Greene wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2008 12:46:00 am Stefan Monov wrote:
> > Hi,
> > First of all, a chart of sorts is badly needed in that dialog, so
> > good idea!
> >
> > However... immediately your screenie struck me as ugly and unclear.
> > Have a look at XP's dialog:
> > http://www.genie-soft.com/images/support/drive_properties.jpg
> > Despite lack of AA and lack of gradients, this looks *tons* better.
> > Why? This took me a while to decide, as design is always in the
> > details ;) It's because:
> > - it looks symmetric, small, cute and manageable. like something
> > you can put in your pocket.
> > - the colors don't clash, while red + green is pretty much the bane
> > of good looks :)
> > - no gradients at least looks normal-ish, while the gradients
> > slapped together in your screenie hurt my eyes, really.
>
> This is where my opinion differs, while I agree that the colors are a
> tad too bright in the mockup that Rafael did, the flat look in XP
> looks ugly and smells of UIs from the 1990s. If the colours were more
> subdued and complimentary, it'd look right.

I suggest to have a look at both pie charts through the eyes of a person
with red/green color deficit (and probably other less prevalent types
of color blindness) e.g. with Vischeck [1] to find two colors that are
easily distinguishable for most people. Obviously red + green is a very
bad choice.

Regards,
Ingo

[1] http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckImage.php