[FEATURE] KNotify support for galago Notifications spec

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 22 13:48:27 BST 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> Agreed, but that would need more serious additions/changes to KNotify that
> would be more obtrusive than my patch.
> I think that even if we all will agree to go this path (moving from Galago
> to implementing this internally in KNotify), then this should be done later
> in 4.x timeframe IMO...

well, this is actually two different things:

* routing and controlling notifications
* signalling popups to be shown somewhere

knotify currently does a great job of the former, your patch handles the
latter (which was completely unhandled up until now).

the galago spec falls into the second category as well, though as Lubos notes
it shouldn't be being used directly as it is by libnotify since that bypasses
the first step. really, the "signalling popups" should be a "private" API
between the notification framework (knotify) and whatever visualization(s)
are provided (kpassivepopup, the notification plasmoid, etc..)

but even if the libnotify problem is remedied at some point, your patch will
still be necessary: it decouples the data handling from the visualization
while providing a published interface for those two parts to work together.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se