KTabBar - suggestion for 4.1

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Sun Apr 13 22:30:19 BST 2008

Hi,

KTabBar offers the functionality to blend in a close button above the tab-icon
when hovering the icon (see KTabBar::setHoverCloseButton(bool)).

To prevent that the user accidentally closes the tab an additional interface
is offered to delay a triggering of the close button (see
KTabBar::setHoverCloseButtonDelayed(bool)).

From my point of view both interfaces should be marked as deprecated and
replaced by a KTabBar::setCloseButtonEnabled(bool) in KDE 4.1. When being
enabled the close button should be shown on the right side of the tab (like
shown in this mockup - similar to Firefox and Safari):

http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/tabs_mockup.png

The reason to suggest marking the methods setHoverCloseButton() and
setHoverCloseButtonDelayed() as deprecated is that - from my point of view -
KDE should not offer 4 ways for closing tabs:
1. no close button
2. hover close button with no delay
3. hover close button with delay
4. close button on the right

I think option 1 and 4 are enough. Please note that this just reflects my
personal opinion which is influenced by using Firefox and Safari on my
Windows system.

Beside just suggesting option 4 I'd also implement it if I get the OK :-)

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Peter