shadeSortColumn - cruft?

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Sep 25 15:20:50 BST 2007

On Tuesday, 25. September 2007 15:36, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > This method (from KGlobalSettings) seems to only be used by K3ListView.
> > Is it OK to remove it next Monday? (Or does lxr lie? Do we still need
> > this in KDE4?)
>
> I was the one implementing this feature in KDE3.
> I have no KDE4 source here to check so I ask:
> Is the feature "show the sorted column with a shaded background" available
> in konqueror in KDE4 ?

As far as I know this never was a Konqueror specific setting in KDE 3. The
feature "Shade sorted column in lists" can be turned on in the control center
under "Appearance & Themes" -> "Colors" and was valid globally.

The feature (or at least the checkbox to turn it on) is also available in the
color-module of systemsettings in KDE 4.

> If so you should not remove it, as there was the need to be able to disable
> it.
> If not, it's a missing feature in KDE4 and should be implemented.
> BTW: Does konqi still use K3ListView to display directory contents ?

Konqi uses the Dolphin KPart for displaying lists, so no K3ListView is used
anymore. Dolphin currently does not draw shaded sorted columns, but from my
point of view this should be fixed not only in Dolphin, but globally for KDE.

I'm just not sure about the correct approach for this: KFileItemDelegate is
responsible for drawing all views having KDirModel as model. So respecting
the setting here would enable shaded columns for file-related views, but not
for the whole KDE...

I'll discuss this with Fredrik (see CC), who is the guru for KFileItemDelegate
(maybe deriving KFileItemDelegate from KItemDelegate might be a good
approach) and will reply to this thread as soon as I know more.

Best regards,
Peter