PieChart widget

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:33:10 BST 2007

Hi Jos and all,

As this widget cannot be introduced in kdelibs for 4.0 and we have to copy
it into Dolphin anyway it makes no difference here, but my idea is slightly
different from yours on "do not duplicate work".

We are libraries. KDE has powerful libraries. Our aiming (among others) is
to provide our libraries as powerful as we can (as well as complete as we
can) without the need of relying on external stuff.

Qt offers widgets. KDE offers widgets. It doesn't make any sense to me the
"code duplicating" of having a KDChart copy on each program that wants to
draw a chart. That is nosense.

Apart from the problem that this implies. Let's suppose KOffice, Dolphin and
Krita use KDChart. So they both 3 have a copy of KDChart on their folders
(code duplicating). Even worse, imagine KDChart is updated with a several
security problem or a really nice feature, or something that makes it appear
very very different: inconsistent desktop if KOffice update their copy and
Krita or Dolphin doesn't.

From my point of view this is not a work duplicating, but your proposal is a
code duplicating, that is always really bad.

If you are developing an external app and you don't find a chart class on
kde libs, I will find it fine to use KDChart for instance.

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.