Paste special

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Sep 18 14:20:42 BST 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> David Faure said the following, On 2007-09-18 01:08:
> > Jaroslaw wrote:
> >> For those worried about performance: this is of course designed for
> >> small chunks of data, larger portions can be handled by DDE-like "on
> >> demand" operations. I wish I could show this in action ad KDE level.
> >
> > Yes. What you're describing is exactly how QMimeData works, so no problem
> > there :)
>
> Do you mean QMimeData::retrieveData() ;) ?
> If so, do you know any implementation using it, with constant time/memory
> cost of copying?
> I am asking because by "on demand" term above I mean that the data provider
> only formats and sends the data when the receiver requests it (unlike with
> typical copying of, say, rich text).

That's at least the way it is implemented on X11, since the X11
clipboard "content" is first just a list of advertised formats and when the
receiver requests the data in such a format, only then is it tranferred, only
then does the sender probably need to recode it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring