Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Richard Dale richard_dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 12:22:46 BST 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007, pinheiro wrote:
> A Monday 17 September 2007 09:09:38, Jakob Petsovits escreveu:

> > > i think it not that bad but it kind loses some thing recognicion is now
> > > only in the title bar. and the shadow
> > > http://www.nuno-icons.com/images/estilo/image4618nocoloring.png
> >
> > I find them both equally great!
> > (And the new line at the bottom of the title bar also does a good job.)
> >
> > Sorry to say that I'm now on the no-background-changes side as well :P
>
> i think we should keep this feature turned off by defoult for the moment
> until we get it in to ship shape condition, (the flikering and the delay
> are real issues that we must deal with until we can realy use it) AFIK its
> rely not big on cpu so ithink we should try it as an option as i think many
> of the issues will be solved in the near future..
No, the hack to use the inactive control color palette for entire windows is
just broken and can never be made to work properly. The visual metaphor you
use for indicating the an individual control is inactive is different from
the metaphor that you might want to use within the window contents to
indicate the entire window is inactive. If you tune the colors to make the
inactive window effect less intrusive, it will mean the the effect for
inactive controls will probably be wrong. There are various other issues too,
such as some windows like passive popups never becoming the key window and so
they will always be dimmed.

We would need to use another mechanism entirely to do the effect that Mac OS X
has - ie only change the color of the knob in a scroll bar and only just the
color of selections. The inactive palette effect does far more than just
that. I assume that the Qt style for Mac OS X must do this already, and maybe
there is some api in Qt to allow it to work that we could experiment with
using.

> for the moment the windek will be worked so it goes like that last mock,
> that needed to be done any way.... think its good compromise and one that
> will please everybody right people?
I think the mock up in the above link looks very good, and looks as though
there will be no technical problems in implementing it.

-- Richard