[UPDATE] KDE 4.0.0 Release Schedule

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Sep 16 23:25:42 BST 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007 10:03, Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> We, The Release Team, hereby announce that we are accelerating the
> KDE 4.0.0 schedule [1]  2 weeks by removing 1 Beta and slightly
> extending the Release Candidate cycle.
>
> Additionally, we are introducing a new "KDE Development Platform"
> release to occur in late October.  These release will contain all the bits
> and pieces necessary to develop KDE4 applications; meaning it will
> include kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs and kdebase/runtime.
> NOTE the earlier freeze date for these modules and make sure you
> don't miss the deadline (3 Oct) to get your fixes in.
>
> The schedules look like this:
>
> KDE 4.0.0 Development Platform
> =========================
> For modules: kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase/runtime
> 3 October (Wed): Freeze -- Only critical bugfixes allowed after this date
> 24 October (Wed): Tagging
> 30 October (Tue): Release KDE Development Platform 4.0.0

It hasn't really been mentioned, so here I ask:
how do these freezes effect cmake ?

What I'd still like to do:
-merge KDE4_ADD_TEST_EXECUTABLE() into KDE4_ADD_EXECUTABLE(... TEST ...), must
be before 4.0. I hope I can do this this week.

-go through the FindKDE4Internal.cmake and KDE4Macros.cmake and check that
everything's still consistent and we offer a nice cmake interface for KDE.
This can bring up more issues like the one above. E.g. the new
KDE4_ADD_APP_ICON() macro may need renaming.

-KDELibsDependencies.cmake may need some changes (for Windows: no fixed paths,
no "+" in library names)

-maybe some changes may be required for Windows (mainly installation related)

-cleanups where required

The problem is, from september 22nd to october 7th I'll most probably won't
have any internet access because I'll be moving back to Germany. I hope to
have internet access after that, but it may take to november to have full
access again.

Would it be ok to require a newer version than CMake 2.4.5 for Windows ? I
think we should allow this if it may be required.

Ralf, Christian: which version of cmake are you using, is 2.4.5 good enough on
Windows ?

Alex

I'm not subscribed to the release mailing list, since I don't feel like part
of the release team, but I think especially for a "KDEDK" release cmake
should be taken into account.